[HOW TO] RNS-510 Navigation & Firmware Update
This is a tutorial on how to update the firmware version and Map version on RNS-510 systems.
- Make sure you have a strong battery, if the car battery is weak connect a car battery charger to the car.
- Switch off the headlights, seat heating and climate control system.
- Remove all SD Cards/CD’s/DVD’s from the system before beginning.
- Do not remove the CD or DVD from the system during the update.
- Software can ONLY be updated on units that are currently running below SW-Version 5238.
- Read the complete guide before you start.
You can check your current software version by holding down the “Setup” button for 10 seconds and then selecting “Version info” onscreen. If you cannot view the version information this means you are running SW-Version older than 5238 and you may proceed with the SW-Version update.
Updating the SW-Version -
- Open the car and turn on the navigation system by pressing down on the power knob once. Do not put the keys into the ignition.
- Insert the software update disc into the navigation system.
- It will cycle through a few checks, the screen will go black and then you will be presented with a “software loading version” screen that tells you about the software update and asks you to press OK or Cancel.
- Press OK. You will then be presented with a “software loading disclaimer” screen saying the firmware will be updated are you sure.
- Press OK again. This process can take around 2-3mins.
- The system will now update. This process takes around 50 minutes and the status will be displayed on screen as it updates each section.
Updating the Map version HDD -
- Please remove the firmware update DVD from the car.
- Insert the key into the ignition and turn the ignition on.
- If you do not have a battery charger connected please start the car to avoid battery drain.
- Wait a few minutes for the navigation system to initialise and Insert the navigation update DVD.
- After a few minutes, you will be presented with a screen that states “New navigation DVD”.
- Press Continue.
- You will now be presented with a screen that asks if you want to save the database.
- Press Save.
- The navigation will now begin updating in the background. To check on the progress, press the eject button.
- You may use the car as normal during this update, it will simply continue where it left off when the car is switched off/on.
Please note that it may be necessary to take the car for a short drive post install to calibrate the navigation system
Optionally, if you would like to add the latest speed camera database to your system, please see here.